How I got chosen for the Varsity Swim Team

 Well, I have been procrastinating a lot to write this post. I guess I'm not a good blogger. 

So, here is the story of how I got into the University Varsity Swim Team. After completing my Diploma, I was accepted to further my pre-graduate studies at Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT). Going through the website, I found out UMT has an Olympic size swimming pool. I was so excited to swim in it. Once I got into UMT, I learned that all students have to apply online via the student website to book a swim session. Without wasting any time, I applied for a swim session. After waiting several days, my application was rejected. I was quite disappointed, but some of my seniors told me it will be very hard to get a successful application because there is a limit to the number of people to be in the pool at one time. I was also told by them to apply on Friday, that way my name will be on the top of the application list.  

SUCCESS!!!! 

This time my application was successful. I got an on Tuesday at 5pm. I was told by the website to bring along my student ID and my IC. On the day, I packed my swim trunks and my goggles along with some other necessities to the pool. 

"UMT HAS THE BEST SWIMMING POOL IN MALAYSIA"    

I stick to this saying until I found a better one. The pool is a 50meter long pool with 8 lanes and  2meters of depth. It's is crystal clear, blue and the chlorine content is adequate. It was the perfect swimming pool. I have been to several swimming pools in my life and this one is the absolute best. 

UMT Swimming Pool

Once I changed into my trunks, I greeted the lifeguards. They asked me questions

"Do you know how to swim?"
"Do you have goggles?"
"Where are you from"
They were so friendly, then I entered to pool to do my laps. At this moment, I have not been swimming in a while. I was just having a casual swim just to keep me fit. Since it was the first time I'm swimming in this new pool I planned to swim around 10 laps, which will be 1000 meters, stopping in between. My dominant stroke at the time was breaststroke and freestyle (front crawl). As I was done swimming, I got out of the pool and headed to the locker room. 

Nearing the entrance, a lifeguard came towards me. He introduced himself, it was Mr. Helmi. He is the head lifeguard of the swimming pool and the coach/manager of the varsity swim team. He praised me for my swim, he told me I had good stamina to complete 1km. He then offered me a chance to be to try out for the swim team. I was awed. Since I came into UMT, I was asking around my seniors how to get into the swim team, but all of them had no idea. But now, the chance is right in front of me. Beside Mr. Helmi was Imran. He was the team captain, coincidently he was there to meet with  Mr. Helmi. Mr. Helmi told me about the swim team and asked if I'm interested to try it out. I immediately said YES. I was told to attend a try-out the following week. 

The team undergoing training 

The following week, I was prepared to try out for the team. This time, the pool was filled with seniors and juniors. I was the latest addition to soon join the team if I pass the try-out. Once changing my clothes, I went to meet Mr. Helmi. He told me to swim 10 laps of the pool NONSTOP in any stroke I want. THAT'S 1km of swimming NONSTOP. I accepted the challenge. I started off with 300m of freestyle as I was not good in that stroke. Then, I did the other 700 meters with breaststroke. Breaststroke is not a common stroke to swim in long-distance, even in pool competition events 400m is the longest distance in breaststroke. I completed the 1km in 1 hour and there was another 1 hour of training time left. I went to Mr. Helmi and told him that I've completed the 1km. "Do another 10 laps" he said. I was shocked. "Another 10 laps?" I asked him. He just said "Yes". My arms and legs were in pain, but I did it all again. I took some rest and went to the pool to start the swim. 

The next 1km that I swan was like burning in hell. I was so out of breath and my body was aching so bad. But, I managed to complete the swim. Once I went out of the pool, all the other members were done with their swim. They greeted themselves and wished me good luck for my tryout as I was accepted to be under probation in the swim team. I was happy, finally, I am on the swim team. Then came Mr. Helmi, "Tomorrow you are going to do it all again," he said. I was jammed. I just said Okay and went into the locker room to change. The next session was in 2 days. 

I was swimming close to 2km a day the past few sessions. Then, Mr. Helmi told me to join the other teammates for training. Then I knew, Mr. Helmi was just testing my commitment to the team. He wanted to see if I gave up after being told to swim the same thing every day. Luckily, I passed. I am an official member of the UMT PIRATES Varsity Swimming Team. 

That's how I got into the swim team. To be honest, it was tough to get into the team. There were so many hurdles I got through to be in the team and I wasn't going to waste my chance. 

Enough writing for today. See you all in the next one. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Redemption: Bukit Merah OWS

Swimming Essentials - What you need to swim faster

Swimming Gears for Advanced Swimmers